Crossfade by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 57] Chapter or Story |
1. Chapter 1 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 4] (3265 words)
Something had happened. Something had gone wrong. Probably something that their tiny little minds should have anticipated but hadn’t. Possibilities flew through his mind, none of them even a tiny bit pleasant.
Standard disclaimers apply. Thanks to Rosesbud for the amazing beta work throughout all of this.
2. Chapter 2 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 0] (2714 words)
Something had to exist here.
If she found the Daleks, she’d find the pathway out.
3. Chapter 3 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 3] (3168 words)
Dammit—now she remembered Jack Harkness—Time Agent, conman…ruined her trip to the Trolley Park and her chance to ride the carousel. She’d never gotten a name out of the Doctor, but it all fell into place. He was so getting a kick in the shin the next time she saw him.
4. Chapter 4 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 1] (3194 words)
White hot sparks spilled out of anything requiring electricity, falling like globs of water from a sprinkler in the middle of July—and it was about as hot as that too. Without thinking, the Doctor shoved Rose to the ground, using his body to shield her from the pyrotechnics.
5. Chapter 5 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 2] (3671 words)
is eyes met hers. Not how he envisioned their reunion. “If she can even manage it. She’s young, Rose. And her mind’s a jumble. She overloaded that thing—the mental abuse is something that’d be hard to bounce back from, much less the energy that went through her.”
6. Chapter 6 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 3] (3328 words)
Oh that damned kid. Violet had told him just enough to keep him here, waiting for some word of Rose Tyler, who was still worth fighting for, and worth dying for. The Doctor… so-so. He was rethinking his position on the ‘buying the Doctor time’ schtick.
7. Chapter 7 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 2] (3243 words)
But she lets him pass, unharmed. This man—Jack Harkness, that name rings vividly in her mind—he’s a dangerous man. But he knows who the boy in the green rugby shirt is, and right now, that is everything.
8. Chapter 8 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 1] (3603 words)
“Tell me how you got in here?” the Doctor demanded. “How did you get into my ship?”
9. Chapter 9 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 3] (4455 words)
Finally the Doctor stood up straight, adjusting a setting on the sonic screwdriver. “I’ve always wanted to see what this setting would do to a living creature. Christmas present from a traveling companion—makes scrambled eggs. Perhaps we can try it on your brain…or your other organs. That would be delightfully macabre.”
10. Chapter 10 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 2] (5708 words)
It had made him physically sick to look at her—he knew that the second she set off into time and space and entered any zone that coincided with the Time Wars, she’d pop out of existence… and there wasn’t a damned thing he could do to stop it.
11. Chapter 11 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 2] (4407 words)
Jackie gave an aggravated groan. “You might not think you’re ill, but you did just change into a whole new person—that’s just not normal. So you’re ill until I say otherwise. And when you’re ill, you have to stay in bed."
12. Chapter 12 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 3] (3913 words)
That same snide sort of grin spread across the face of his counterpart that Jack had worn but moments before. “Why? So that you can clear everything up? Set me back on the right path? If you’re me, then you know that I’m doing the right thing. Or the closest thing to the right thing that I can think of.”
13. Chapter 13 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 4] (4702 words)
“Yeah, we’ve got Daleks all over the place, and this one,” she thumbed over her shoulder at the other Jack. “Is playing doll house with a bunch of empty Dalek shells. Oh, I remember THAT much—psychic inhibitor? Handing me over to the Daleks? Yeah, you’re a real great hero, Ringo.”
14. Chapter 14 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 2] (2998 words)
With his forearm, the Doctor forced Jack into the wall, sonic screwdriver at eye level. “Give me one good reason not to leave both of you to it.”
15. Chapter 15 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 3] (4597 words)
The Doctor’s mouth opened, but before he could launch into a tirade about just how stupid and reckless Jack was being, he stopped, index finger pointing at the other man. “I swear…if anything happens to them….”
16. Chapter 16 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 2] (3682 words)
“We do not need you whole,” the Dalek informed her, backing up towards the door. “Simply alive.”
17. Chapter 17 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 2] (3481 words)
She felt it and was sure of it, especially when the light behind her eyes melted from pink to the fiery orange of daybreak, tendrils of a familiar golden light wisping around the edges of the sun.
That couldn’t be good.
18. Chapter 18 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 3] (2561 words)
He was about to ask a stupid question, to which he’d no doubt get a stupid answer. “Rose, can you let go of it?” She was in so much trouble if he had to use another regeneration on her. He’d never let her live it down. Ever.
19. Chapter 19 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 2] (2974 words)
Apologetically, Greg shook his head. “Scrambled egg setting,” the boy whispered, finding the preset in question. “Sorry. I’m not here to save you,” he explained, raising the sonic screwdriver to Captain Jack’s head. “I’m here to kill you.”
20. Chapter 20 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 2] (3208 words)
“Hold everything together,” it said directly into his mind. “Or I shall destroy it all.”
21. Chapter 21 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 1] (3397 words)
Lips pressing to Rose’s, he tried to memorize the feel of her cool face, trying to match it to a non-memory from long ago—the very night their lives had taken this strange, complicated turn.
22. Chapter 22 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 4] (2930 words)
Her consciousness was still out there, then, even if her body was not. And he’d left her in there—in the Void. Oh no. What did he do?
23. Chapter 23 by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 2] (3977 words)
Exasperated, Rose went back to ignoring him. “Violet, things’re just a bit more complicated than that. There’s all kind of things we’d need to think about… YOU for instance…”
24. Epilogue by spastasmagoria [Reviews - 4] (3952 words)
“Somebody doesn’t deal well with Owen’s snide remarks about Torchwood being no place for a lady in her condition.” He only smiled harder when Rose rolled her eyes and grinned.